Monday, January 9, 2012

Sanctify it....


"Thy heart is My home.  Sanctify it for My descent."  Baha'u'llah

If they said my Beloved stood outside the door,
I would run with delight into His waiting arms.
He would hold my rough and dirty hands in His and say,
“Well done, thou best, and dearest child.”

If they said my Beloved would be here in five minutes,
I would say a prayer as I washed my hands and face,
would clear books off the best chair for Him to rest Himself,
and then I would run with delight into His waiting arms.
He would sit down in my messy room and say,
“Well done, thou best, and dearest child.”

If they told me my Beloved would visit in one hour,
I would say a prayer, wash my hands and face and put on
my nicest clothes.  I would hurry to make my room
into a shrine for Him with a chair near the window,
and a cup of sweet tea nearby.
He would make Himself comfortable, sip the tea and say,
“Well done, thou best, and dearest child.”

If they told me my Beloved would visit tomorrow,
I would cook delicious food and invite my family and friends to
meet Him.  My house would be a beautiful haven for all,
and we would practice singing a welcome song for His delight.
He would touch each cheek, gaze around the room and exclaim,
“Well done, thou best, and dearest child!”

If they told me my Beloved would visit sometime before I die,
that He would visit me, in my little room….
            Would I keep the chair cleared for Him? 
Or would I wander the streets in search of something
I couldn’t name, picking up bits of string in my trembling hands,
pretending I didn’t know
that the Beloved was waiting with sweet tea,
heavenly food and songs of welcome. 

Waiting for me to come Home.


1 comment:

  1. What a fine melancholic poem this - I like the way it turns at the end, leaving the reader to wonder what it is the poet really wants ... nicely done

    ReplyDelete