Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Embroidery


Here is a picture of (clean and pressed) antique hankies for you to look at while lounging around home today.  (You ARE lounging, aren’t you?)  I love old hankies and buy them up at thrift shops and yard sales.  After bringing them home I clean and press them to use as gift wrap, or in get-well cards.  Most of you are too young to remember, but surely you know that proper young ladies always had a clean hankie.  Gentlemen had handkerchiefs clean enough to loan to any beautiful woman who might be weeping. Hankies were often embroidered, an art my mother taught me (I the ever unwilling student).  Hand-done things like this aren’t available at CVS and I’m going to propose a World Day of Hand-Done Things. Small domesticities like Embroidery, knitting or cooking.  Family hands.  Nurse’s hands tidying up and bringing comfort.  Hands on the keyboard. Artist’s hands. Friendly Hands. Hand’s cleaning away rubble after an earthquake. Hands to God. 

No denying this is a tough time in the world, but hey, we were built tough, weren’t we?  All of us humans were built tough.  I have it on good authority that we were created to bear and endure.  And to use clean hankies at need. 

The embroidered hankie

Each tidy stitch held beauty—
beauty folded and pressed
into my tiny hand:
Bold banner of courage.

                        Rhonda













http://thriftshopromantic.blogspot.com/2008/10/collecting-vintage-hankies-its-nothing.html

No comments:

Post a Comment